1850, the Tigerhofs central core construction rises at the intersection of Bergstrasse and Dohlengässlein at the foothill of the Rosenberg.
The building's primary use is manufacturing and consists of an extra-high basement and two upper floors, it already had the current width with a staggered main facade, but not yet the current building depth.

In 1866 the textile industrialist William Mayer converted the "Tigerhof" into an "Appretur" building by renowned architect Felix Wilhelm Kubly. The building achieves its current volume through the rear extension and the construction of two additional stories.

The current appearance of the Tigerhof results from the redesign of the facade of 1894. The facade decoration, in particular, follows the classicist architecture of Kubly's from 1866. The structure of the plinth, Beletage, and attic, enhanced by the elevated vantage point to the old town and city moat, make the "Tigerhof" appear as a "palazzo."

Today, the Tigerhof falls under Landmark protection. It stands not only as a testimony of the golden era of the embroidery of St.Gallen, but it towers over the dominating contextual location.


RESTORATION PROJECT 2019-2020







By continuing to browse this website you are agreeing to the use of cookies as outlined in our privacy policy.

TIGERBERGSTRASSE 2 9000 ST. GALLEN SWITZERLAND